Become Au pair in The Netherlands

Become Au pair in The Netherlands

You want to live as an au pair with a host family in the Netherlands. You need a residence permit in order to live in the Netherlands as an au pair. What are the conditions for this residence permit? And how does the application procedure work?


  • You are going to live in the Netherlands temporarily under an exchange programme as an au pair via a recognised au pair agency “Super Nanny Au Pair Services”.
  • You are 18 years of age or older, but younger than 25 years of age.
  • You did not sign a contract with a host family, Dutch or foreign intermediary agency or au pair agency under which you are obliged to pay money or a fine if you fail to perform all or parts of the contract.
  • You did not pay a sum of money as deposit to a Dutch or foreign intermediary agency or au pair agency.
  • You will not be carrying out work for people who are in need of more specialised care. More specialised care means care duties that require specific skills.
  • You and the host family are not family members in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree.
  • You did not pay more than €34 in costs for the preparations for your stay in the Netherlands.
  • You have not had a residence permit for exchange purposes in the Netherlands before.
  • You are going to live with the host family. You register with the municipality as living at the address of the host family.
  • Your host family is registered in the Netherlands in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality where they live.
  • Your host family is composed of 2 or more persons. These persons have Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit for the Netherlands.
  • You have not worked for the host family in the Netherlands or abroad before.
  • You work as an au pair for a maximum of 8 hours per day and a maximum of 30 hours per week. You have at least 2 days off per week.
  • You only perform light domestic work for the host family.
  • You and the host family draw up a daily work routine for all 7 days of the week. You and the family sign this daily work routine. The daily work routine must contain at least the following:
    • how many hours the au pair will do light domestic work;
    • which 2 days in the week the au pair is off;
    • who performs light domestic work in addition to the au pair. Another person must be stated.
  • Your host family must have sufficient income. This income is independent and long-term.

Checklist for documents

The au pair agency has a list of documents that you need.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

General conditions

You apply for a residence permit in the Netherlands. There are a number of general conditions that apply to all purposes of stay.

General conditions​

You have to meet the following general conditions:

  • You have a valid passport or another travel document.
  • Your are not married, have been married
  • You do not have children, foster children or care for other people’s children
  • You sign an antecedents certificate. The antecedents certificate will be send to you by    Super Nanny Au Pair Services. In this certificate you provide information on your criminal record. You state, for example, that you have not committed any crimes. You also state that you have not submitted any incorrect information, nor have you stayed in the Netherlands illegally. The certificate does not need to be filled in by children under the age of 12.
  • After having arrived in the Netherlands, you will undergo a medical test for tuberculosis (TB). You are exempt from having to undergo a TB test in the following situations:
    • You have the nationality of one of the countries listed in the appendix ‘Exemption from the obligation to undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test’
    • You have a valid residence permit in the Netherlands.
    • You have already undergone a TB test less than 6 months ago.
    • You have an EU residence permit for long-term resident issued by another EU country or are a family
  • member and were already admitted to another EU country as a family member of the long-term resident.
  • What to do for the TB test
  • If you have to undergo the TB test, please tick this box in the application form. The application form has 2 appendices:
  • The appendix ‘Declaration of intent to undergo a TB test’. This form will be send to you by Super Nanny Au Pair Services. You fill in this appendix. You send the appendix, the application form as well as the other forms required for your application to the IND.
  • The Appendix ‘TB test referral form’. You keep this appendix with you.
    After having received your residence permit, you then make an appointment with the Area Health Service (GGD) to undergo the TB test within 3 months*. Please take the ‘TB test referral form’ with you to the appointment. The GGD fills in this form and sends it to the IND.
  • *If you wait for more than 3 months to undergo the TB test, you may risk having your residence permit withdrawn.
Start a chat
Need help?

How can we help you?